The Summer My Father was Ten – Activity #5 (Optional): “Recipe For Tomato Sauce”
Activity #5 (Optional): “Recipe For Tomato Sauce”
This is a recipe from ”Wellness Mama” for making tomato sauce with the class.
- 5 pounds of fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded (To peel, cut a small ”x” on the top and drop into boiling water for 10 seconds and drop into an ice bath. Skin will easily peel off.)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 medium onions diced
- 8 cloves of fresh garlic finely minced
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- ½ tsp of dried thyme or 1 sprig fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves to remove when done
- 2 sprigs of parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 carrot (1/2 of carrot gets grated and added to the sauce, the other half is added and then removed at the end of the cooking). Carrot will absorb the acidity of the tomatoes and create a sweeter sauce.
- Optional: 1 tbsp of honey
- Pour olive oil into a large pot over medium heat.
- Add diced onions, garlic, and grated carrots.
- Saute 6-8 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Add tomatoes, chopped basil leaves, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, parsley, and sea salt.
- Simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours or until cooked and starting to darken.
- Add the piece of carrot for the last 30 minutes to absorb acidity.
- Remove any sprigs of herbs and the piece of carrot.
- Can be pureed if you want a smoother sauce. Skip this step for thicker sauce.
- Serve on Spaghetti noodles
Ignacio FzYuJLAkYFCCgh 6 26 2022 generic for cialis