Because Amelia Smiled – Activity #2: "Around The World"
Activity #2: “Around The World”
The purpose of this activity is to work on using a map to identify where the story went around the world and to research details about each country or place mentioned.
- Copy of world map for each student (provided)
- Access to computer
- Overhead transparency of world map
- Overhead projector or document camera
- Wall map if not able to use an overhead projector
- Fun Fact recording sheet
- Print a world map for each student
- Print a fun fact recording sheet for each student
- Copy the world map onto an overhead transparency if using overhead projector or use a paper copy with the document camera
- World map with countries labeled – can use one that is online and connect computer to overhead projector for class to see OR use a wall map of the world with the countries lableled OR use Google Maps to find locations
- Access to computers/notebooks/ipads for research.
Step by Step:
Step One: Make a list of the countries that were mentioned in the story.
Step Two: Using a wall map, projected map from transparency, or projected Google map, as a class, mark on the photocopy of the world map where those places are located. Number them in order of where the story started (#1) and then each country in order until it is back at the start again.
Step Three: Use a line to join the numbered dots together adding arrows to indicate direction that the story goes around the world.
Step Four: Have students (can work on own or with a partner) pick one of the countries from the story to research using a computer/notebook/ipad/or books in the library to gather information. Encourage the students to find out facts such as: what the flag looks like; language spoken; famous sight for tourists to see if they visit that country; etc.
Step Five: Have student record information on fact recording sheet provided.
Students will have a record of facts on the researched country and a map showing the location of the countries in the story.
3 - Because Amelia Smiled #2