Maddi’s Fridge – Lois Brandt
Written by Lois Brandt
Two best friends, Sofia and Maddi play together, live in the same neighbourhood, and go to the same school. Then one day Sofia discovers that Maddi’s fridge is nearly empty and, at Maddi’s request, Sofia promises to keep the empty fridge a secret. Sofia tries to help but is conflicted about keeping her promise and helping Maddi and her family.
After several days and unsuccessful attempts to bring food in her backpack to give to Maddi, Sofia tells her mother. Delivering bags of groceries for Maddi’s family, Sofia is able to help. Maddi forgives Sofia for telling the secret because she realizes that Sofia was trying to help. A compassionate story that deals with childhood hunger in a very age-appropriate way.
- Ask students what types of food you would typically find in their fridge.
- Do we all have the same food?
- Is it possible that someone might not have enough food in their fridge?
As you read the story, highlight how the two best friends are similar (like to play at the park, live in the same neighbourhood, go to the same school) and how they are different (Sofia is a faster runner, Maddi is a better climber, Maddi’s family doesn’t have money to buy more food, Sofia’s fridge is full of food – even for the dog).
- Ask the students the following questions:
- Did Sofia do the right thing telling the secret to her mom?
- What are ways people can help those whose fridges are like Maddi’s? (The last page of the book lists 6 ways to help friends with empty fridges.)
Before I discovered how much I loved to play hockey, I really enjoyed swimming around the ocean with my sea-creature friends. There was plenty of food to eat for all of the sea animals. However, now that I am with the Canucks, I no longer have to swim through the ocean looking for food. It makes me think about how important it is that we take care of the ocean so that my sea-creature friends will always have food to eat.
What can we do?
- Should we throw plastics into the ocean?
- Can we participate in local beach clean-ups?
- Can we look for the “Ocean Wise” symbol on food at stores and in restaurants?
2018 04 27 Not applicable US Phenylephrine Hydrochloride Injection 10 mg 1mL Intravenous Henry Schein, Inc discount cialis f, g Effect of 150 nM ATO on OSI formation n 4 f and on PML levels a representative western blot is presented out of four independent experiments g in MCF7 parental cells and MCF7 metastatic sub clone